Monday, July 30, 2007

where do we go from here?

In reading over my classmates' recent blogs, I see a lot of things that have been going through my head as well. We're all thrilled to have so many new technologies at our fingertips (no pun intended.) We're all fired up, and gearing up for September. This is exactly what I hoped would happen this summer, and I am so happy to have had this experience! Distance learning has its own set of special demands, but it has made it possible to meet a great group of people I probably wouldn't have to been otherwise able to meet. It was especially fun to get "out" and compare notes with people who live in other places.

Another thing I'm really happy about is that several people have commented they would like to stay in touch after the class. I think this is really valuable - as we actually try to use these technologies in our workplaces, we can share stories and ideas, successes, and roadblocks.

I know I will stay on twitter(and investigate pownce), and I will keep looking at classmates' blogs, but I wonder if we would use a common space if we set one up. For example, we could - very simply - share a Google docs document and just keep adding onto the end of it with our thoughts, concerns, experiences, as we try our new tools out, kind of like a message board, just in a document. Or we could set up a wiki. I guess I would vote for a wiki (not that I've set one up yet, but this would be the perfect time to learn....) only because we could use RSS to know if someone has added a new comment.

2 comments:

Linda Braun said...

Brilliant idea. What about a wiki and a Pownce group. Pownce for quick keeping in touch and the wiki for more in depth kind of stuff.

Do you think this is something that could included students from previous times I taught this class? I'm wondering if that would dilute the camaraderie or enhance the experience? Hmmmmmm?

mlittle said...

I would think it would enhance it, but that's just me. Guess we would have to put it up for a vote! I'm thinking that we're all fired up now, and planning to go try out these new technologies in our workplaces. How about when we get there, and hit our first roadblocks? What then? It would be great to get ideas from people who've already gone down this path.